“We take great pride in bringing the world’s best medtech ecosystem together with standout entrepreneurs to provide them with the resources and connections needed to bring their transformative technologies to patients,” said Paul Grand, CEO of MedTech Innovator. “I’m pleased to share that Medtech Innovator alumni companies have now achieved more than $1 billion in follow-on funding – a testament to the quality of our portfolio companies, their innovations, and their teams. We are gratified that our alumni companies often credit Medtech Innovator’s support and industry ecosystem as an important factor in their success.”
The program will commence on June 19 in San Francisco, where the leadership teams from its 50 startups will gather for the annual Medtech Innovator Summit. During this two-day exclusive event, innovators from early to later-stage startups will collaborate with Medtech Innovator’s 20 corporate partners to find solutions to common challenges and mechanisms to accelerate their technologies. They will be joined by investors, providers, payers, and industry stakeholders such as representatives from federal agencies like National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA).
All 50 companies will then present in a Showcase and partnering meetings with executives and investors on June 21 at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati’s 27th Annual Medical Device Conference in San Francisco. Four of the earlier-stage companies will be selected to compete for the votes of the conference audience and the $25,000 Value Award. This will be the first of three competitions in MedTech Innovator’s 2019 program. In total, more than $500,000 in cash prizes and incubator space will be awarded over the course of the program.
A subset of 25 early-stage companies will participate in MedTech Innovator’s award-winning Accelerator program, in which medtech startups are matched with senior industry leaders to receive in-depth, customized mentorship and support. With a competitive 3% acceptance rate, the selection process for this year’s program set a high bar for applicants. Together with the senior leadership teams of its corporate partners and over 200 industry judges, Medtech Innovator traveled to evaluate over 150 candidates in person out of over 800 applications from 34 countries and 45 U.S. states.
The program culminates Sept. 23-25 in Boston, where all 50 companies will present in Showcase panels and gain access to exclusive partnering and roundtables at The Medtech Conference, powered by AdvaMed. Five startups from the Accelerator cohort will compete for an Execution Award and four companies will advance to compete in the finale. A live audience vote will determine the winner of the $350,000 grand prize and the title of 2019 Medtech Innovator. Additional awards will also be presented, including incubator spaces at JLABS, the Gore Innovation Center, and Magnify at UCLA.
Medtech Innovator’s 2019 Top 50 Showcase Companies include:
- Altratech* – Limerick, Ireland
- American BioOptics* – Chicago
- ATRO Medical* – Nijmegen, Netherlands
- Avelas Biosciences – San Diego
- Avisi Technologies* – Philadelphia
- Bardy Diagnostics – Seattle
- Bigfoot Biomedical – Milpitas, Calif.
- Bone Health Technologies* – San Francisco
- ClearCam* – Austin, Texas
- CloudCath – San Francisco
- CoapTech* – Baltimore
- Embolx – Sunnyvale, Calif.
- EndObetes* – New York
- EPIC Neuro* – Fountain Valley, Calif.
- Evergaze – Richardson, Texas
- Flosonics Medical* – Sudbury, Canada
- Forest Devices* – Pittsburgh
- Glycotest – New York
- GNA Biosolutions – Planegg, Germany
- Halo Neuroscience – San Francisco
- HD Medical* – Santa Clara, Calif.
- HealthReveal – New York
- HEPTA Medical* – Paris
- Ischemia Care* – Oxford, Ohio
- Koya* – San Francisco
- Medasense Biometrics – Ramat Gan, Israel
- Moving Analytics – San Francisco
- Nanomix – Emeryville, Calif.
- Olfactomics* – Tampere, Finland
- OncoRes Medical* – Nedlands, Australia
- Onkos Surgical – Parsipanny, N.J.
- Orbit Genomics – Boulder, Colo.
- Patch’d* – Mountain View, Calif.
- Potrero Medical – Hayward, Calif.
- Previvo – San Carlos, Calif.
- Pristine Surgical – Manchester, N.H.
- Protembis – Aachen, Germany
- PyrAmes* – Cupertino, Calif.
- Respirix* – San Francisco
- Savonix – San Francisco
- Soletics* – Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Starling Surgical* – Dublin, Ireland
- Subtle Medical – Menlo Park, Calif.
- Surgivisio – Gieres, France
- ThermopeutiX* – San Diego
- toSense – San Diego
- Vectorious – Tel Aviv, Israel
- Venari Medical* – Galway, Ireland
- ZKR Orthopedics – San Francisco
(*Company is also participating in Medtech Innovator’s intensive Accelerator program.)
Since 2013, Medtech Innovator has reviewed more than 3,000 startups and graduated 185 companies that have gone on to raise more than $1B billion in follow-on funding and bring 37 products to the market. Medtech Innovator works closely with stakeholders across the industry to foster the growth of early to mid-stage startups. In collaboration with 20 corporate partners, as well as a broader network of hundreds of investors, business development representatives, and industry experts, Medtech Innovator provides startups with individualized mentorship and feedback, funding opportunities, and continual engagement with peers and advisors. The organization also launched Medtech Innovator Asia Pacific in 2019 to accelerate the growth of promising medical device startups addressing healthcare needs across the region.
Medtech Innovator’s founding sponsors are Johnson & Johnson and RCT Ventures. Annual program sponsors include Baxter, Amgen, NIPRO Medical Corp., Olympus Medical Systems Group, W.L. Gore & Associates Inc., BTG, Fujikura Ltd., HOYA Corp., Maxim Integrated Ventures, Alira Health, EdgeOne Medical, Experien Group, Greenlight Guru, Proxima Clinical Research, Westwood & Wilshire, and Ximedica. The organization’s industry partners include AdvaMed, Health+Commerce, MedTech Strategist, and Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati.