"Johnson & Johnson has deep entrepreneurial roots in New York and we are pleased to see our unique JLABS model applied in this rich ecosystem to foster the creation of new healthcare innovations that have the potential to change the trajectory of health for humanity," said Paul Stoffels, M.D., chief scientific officer, Johnson & Johnson. "Expanding our JLABS network to NYC will link entrepreneurs around the region with Johnson & Johnson Innovation experts, allowing some of the brightest minds in healthcare to work collaboratively in a shared space."
"This new 21st century incubator supports our efforts to boost economic growth by investing in cutting-edge research and technologies that advance human health," Governor Cuomo said. "By investing in JLABS @ NYC, we're connecting early-stage companies with the tools, resources, and networks to succeed while enhancing the life sciences industry and fostering job growth across New York."
In addition to opening the new site, JLABS @ NYC announced the four winners of the JLABS @ NYC QuickFire Challenge. The winners of the QuickFire Challenge receive one year of residence in JLABS @ NYC, providing access to a bench, workstation and the global JLABS community. The four winners are: Lab11 Therapeutics LLC; Manhattan Biosolutions; Sapience Therapeutics, Inc.; and Mobile Sense Technologies, Inc.
"For too long, patients and consumers have not fully benefitted from the incredible genius throughout the world. NYC and its environs are home to some of the greatest minds in scientific innovation, whose skills and their spirit have so much to offer," said Melinda Richter, Global Head of JLABS at Johnson & Johnson Innovation. "JLABS provides those innovators the environment they need to deliver life-enhancing, life-saving solutions to the people who need them. By opening up vital industry connections, entrepreneurial programs and a capital-efficient, flexible platform to help alleviate the cost burden that typically slows or kills innovation, we know NYC will light up our world."
"The New York Genome Center is honored to partner with Johnson & Johnson Innovation and New York State to bring the JLABS network to New York, further strengthening the life sciences sector," said Cheryl A. Moore, NYGC president and COO. "NYGC works to translate genomic research into new diagnostic tools and treatments for human disease, which is in perfect harmony with JLABS' vision of providing a platform to support emerging companies in transforming scientific discoveries into breakthrough healthcare products. We are excited to see the future developments from JLABS @ NYC and we appreciate the Governor's leadership and support in advancing life sciences infrastructure in New York."
JLABS facilities have incubated more than 370 companies to date, advancing biotech, pharmaceutical, medical device, consumer and health tech programs. JLABS @ NYC will follow the same no-strings-attached approach across all JLABS locations: San Diego; San Francisco; South San Francisco; Boston; Lowell, Mass.; Houston; Toronto; Beerse, Belgium; and Shanghai.
The following medical device, biotech, and health tech companies are the first to be selected as residents of JLABS @ NYC:
- Certa Dose—Certa Dose offers an intuitive system that uses color confirmation to deliver accurate dosing.
- Envisagenics—Envisagenics' AI platform analyzes RNA-sequencing data to develop cures for diseases caused by splicing errors.
- EpiBone—EpiBone is a revolutionary biotech company, whose regenerative technology will give patients a way to help heal themselves by growing living bone and cartilage grafts that are made from their own cells.
- Fited—Fited automates the creation of globally accessible, custom-fit, patient-specific medical devices across medical braces, orthosis, prosthesis, and medical implants just from patients' photos and medical images using Fited's end-to-end, digital, AI-driven design platform that learns the skills of the craftsman who manually create these devices today.
- Health Care Originals—Health Care Originals is an everyday digital health system with a proprietary wearable that provides early warning of flare ups in respiratory illnesses, e.g., asthma, COPD, as early warning signs are difficult to notice resulting in medical attention, disruption and even lifelong issues that could have been avoided.
- MedoPad—MedoPad is a CE-approved patient monitoring software solution that brings together modular care monitoring tools, patient data tracking, and patient informational tools to provide an easy-to-use yet holistic digital health solution that can be applied across verticals and therapeutic conditions.
- Mobile Sense Technologies, Inc.— Mobile Sense is a digital health technology company providing foundational technology enabling off-the-chest medical wearables for long-term management of cardiac arrhythmias.
- Mymee—Mymee's Digital Therapeutics program reverses the symptoms of chronic autoimmune disease through data analytics and health coaching, reducing or eliminating the need for expensive drugs.
- Nanochon—Nanochon is focused on creating a new type of cartilage implant that can replace lost cartilage on a short-term basis and can fuse with the body on a longer term, improving patient outcomes.
- NANOWEAR—Nanowear's connected-self technology and analytics platform for diagnostics and chronic disease management utilizes first-of-its-kind, FDA-cleared, cloth-based nanosensors (Nanowear's first product, SimpleSense, is an undergarment for remote alert detection in Heart Failure).
- Redpin—Redpin's breakthrough technology platforms enable targeted regulation of neuronal activity in the brain to achieve treatment and control of CNS circuit and other disorders.
- Savor Health—Savor Health addresses the nutritional issues of cancer patients through an AI-based care platform in order to improve adherence, increase engagement, reduce health spending and empower patients.
- Veta Health—Veta Health is a population health company that offers a technology platform that makes patient-generated data clinically meaningful, enabling personalized, protocol-based care anywhere, at any time.
All JLABS locations are accepting applications from biotech, pharmaceutical, medical device, consumer and health tech companies.